Call for expression of interest – open to national candidates (IT consultant to provide expert, technical, and administrative assistance and support to the Ministry of Security of Bosnia and Herzegovina – Department of IT and Telecommunication Systems – IT consultant – software solutions and databases)
Ref No: CfA 39-11/23
Established in 1951, International Organization for Migration (IOM) is the leading intergovernmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental,
intergovernmental, and non-governmental partners. With the support of the Ministry of Foreign
Affairs of the Kingdom of Denmark, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) in the
Western Balkans is implementing the “Western Balkans Integrated Border Management Capacity
Building Facility (WBIBM)”. WBIBM is a facility-type regional project with the overall objective to
support authorities in the Western Balkans to effectively manage their borders and respond to
border security challenges in a protection-sensitive manner.
Within the framework of this project, IOM is committed to providing support to the Ministry of
Security of Bosnia and Herzegovina, particularly in the are of Information Technology (IT) and
data management. This support inter alia aims to enhance the software solutions and
databases of the Ministry of Security of Bosnia and Herzegovina, especially in the area of
Integrated Border Management and Migration. Additionally, the project aims to successfully
implement the ongoing activities related to the establishment and implementation of the
Biometric Identification System for foreigners in Bosnia and Herzegovina, through the Migration
Information System, the new system for recording and exchanging data on the control of
movement of weapons and military equipment and the Readmission System.
In the upcoming period, activities are planned to enhance and consolidate existing software
solutions and databases in the IT systems of the Ministry of Security of Bosnia and Herzegovina,
particularly in the area of Integrated Border Management and Migration.
The Ministry of Security of Bosnia and Herzegovina, through the Department of IT and
Telecommunication Systems, coordinates the implementation of Information and
Communication Technologies (hereinafter referred to as ICT) in the areas under the authority of
- Scope of Assignments and Tasks
Under the overall supervision of the Regional Project Manager, the IT and WBIBM Data
Management WBIBM Focal Point, and the direct supervision of the National WBIBM Project Focal
Point, IOM is seeking to engage a consultant for the following responsibilities:
- provide expert technical assistance and support in the development, monitoring, evaluation, and
documentation of the implementation and usage of the Biometric Identification System in the
Migration Information System (ISM);
- after the official launch of the Biometric Identification System in the Migration Information
System (ISM), the consultant, in close collaboration with the employees of the Department of IT
and Telecommunication Systems of the Ministry of Security of Bosnia and Herzegovina, will
provide support in the operation and usage of the Biometric Identification System by end-users;
- In close collaboration with the employees of the Department of IT and Telecommunication
Systems of the Ministry of Security of Bosnia and Herzegovina, the consultant will provide support
to end-users in the operation and usage of the System for Recording and Exchanging Data on the
Control of Movement of Weapons and Military Equipment and also propose improvements in the
process to enhance its efficiency and effectiveness;
- Identify and propose good practices, research, technical expertise and strategic opportunities
related to the enhancement and improvement of process management and administration of
databases and applications in the Sector for IT and Telecommunication Systems of the Ministry of
Security of BiH
- propose technical guidelines for the enhancement and improvement of process management and
administration of databases and applications in the Sector for IT and Telecommunication Systems
of the Ministry of Security of BiH;
- provide professional and technical support in planning, introduction, documentation, testing of
new and existing systems or system functionality, and proposes improvements in these activities;
- provide guidance and support to IOM staff in the planning and execution of the project´s ICT
related activities and initiatives;
- put particular focus on the implementation of IOM-related projects and activities in the
performance of his/her daily tasks;
- perform such other such duties as may be assigned.
- cooperate and negotiate with employees in the IT and Telecommunication Systems Sector of the
Ministry of Security of Bosnia and Herzegovina during the implementation and execution of tasks,
with the aim of ensuring quality final results;
- deliver documents in a timely manner and perform tasks, as stated in this ToR or in accordance
with the agreement with an employee in the Sector for IT and Telecommunication Systems of the
Ministry of Security of BiH;
- go on official trips to Bosnia and Herzegovina as needed, in order to support the implementation
of the above-mentioned activities;
- submits a monthly report on the activities performed and a final report to the Ministry of Security
of Bosnia and Herzegovina and the IOM.
In performing these tasks the Consultant will work closely with the employees of the Department of IT
and Telecommunication Systems of the Ministry of Security.
- Location and Timeframe of the Consultancy
The consultancy will commence immediately upon the signing of the contract and will operate
on a part-time basis. The expected work commitment consists of a minimum of 60 hours per
month during regular working days, from 09:00 AM to 05:00 PM. The consultancy will primarily
take place at the Ministry of Security of Bosnia and Herzegovina’s premises, with the potential
for occasional travel within Bosnia and Herzegovina. The initial contract duration is set at 11
months, with the possibility of extension subject to the availability of funds and the consultant’s
- Required Qualifications
The Consultant is expected to have the following competencies and expertise:
Education and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, with a specialization in Information
Technology (Computer Science and Informatics) or a similar degree with a minimum of
240 ECTS credits;
- Excellent working knowledge in: C#, WebAPI – Entity Framework, TypeScript (Angular2),
work experience from which the required knowledge can be determined is considered an
- At least 5 years of work experience in web-oriented application solutions, database
maintenance and design – Microsoft SQL Server, which will be proven by relevant
certificates of work experience from which the required experience can be determined;
- Proven knowledge and experience in DBMS (Database Management Systems);
- Previous professional experience in managing interventions in the field of information
technology, communications systems and computer systems;
- Work experience on projects related to biometric data identification and collection is
considered an advantage;
- Experience in public administration in Bosnia and Herzegovina is desirable;
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural
differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner
consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrate the ability to work in a composed, competent and
committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to
achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely
manner; is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes
responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains
complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Fluency in both English and one of the official languages used in Bosnia and Herzegovina is
- Confidentiality arrangements
Before signing the Contract, the consultant will be required to sign a Declaration of
Familiarization with Regulations regarding the processing of classified data, as well as a
Declaration of Obligation to safeguard and protect personal data, the forms for which will be
provided by the Ministry of Security of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- How to apply
Applications should be sent via email to: [email protected] with the email subject “Ref No:
CfA 39-11/23 (software solutions and databases)”.
The application should be in English and include:
- Motivation letter
Application deadline: 20 November 2023.
Posting period: 07 November 2023 – 20 November 2023.
ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED