The Office of the European Union Special Representative in Bosnia and Herzegovina is seeking a highly qualified professional for the position of Temporary Hire Media and Outreach Adviser
Local Staff LC2023/09
Position available: as of 15 January 2024
NOTE: This is a temporary assignment as maternity cover until return of staff member from maternity leave. Successful candidate will sign a contract until 31 August 2024 with option for extension for another two months.
Interested candidates who fulfil the criteria must complete (in English) application form (CV form available HERE), enclose a one (1) page motivation letter, and return it email@example.com
with subject “Application Ref. No LC2023/09”
The EUSR will not supply additional information or discuss the selection procedure by telephone. Please address any queries concerning this procedure or related to employment conditions and benefits to
Note:Short-listed candidates will be asked to take a written test. Candidates who passed the written test will be invited for an interview.Deadline for application: Sunday, 7th January 2024 at 23:59 hrs (Brussels time).Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Thank you for your interest.
Terms of Reference
Position Title: Temporary Hire Media and Outreach Adviser Position reference number: LC 2023/09 Direct Supervisor: Head of Communications/Spokesperson Salary grade: LSG Grade I Duty Station: SarajevoPost available: as of 15 January 2024The incumbent will report to the Head of Communications/Spokesperson in the Office of the EU Special Representative (EUSR) and will contribute to the work of the EUSR and his mandate in BiH.
In accordance with the EUSR mandate, the Temporary Hire Media and Outreach Adviser will work closely with the European External Action Service, European Commission services and other EU institutions as required by the EUSR. The EUSR in BiH is double-hatted with the EU Head of Delegation who has other important responsibilities relating to matters which are under the competency of the European Commission and in this respect the Commission remains responsible for its related policies and the implementation of its external assistance which is funded through the IPA programme.
The Adviser will provide expertise and advice related to the promotion of the political process of EU integration and reforms through targeted media and outreach activities designed to ensure broader understanding and support from the BiH public on EU related matters, including by means of engagement of local civil society actors. The Adviser proposes, designs and implements media relations activities as well as EUSR funded communications/outreach projects and ensures their full coordination with other EU funded actions/actors including with EU Member States.
The Adviser will have a good knowledge of the BiH political dynamic. The Adviser will be knowledgeable of BiH and EU institutional structures, the EU enlargement process and its application to BiH, and the competencies of the EU actors in BiH.
The EUSR modus operandi and internal organisation may evolve in accordance with decisions of the Council of the European Union and in relation to the EUSR’s mandate in BiH. The duties and responsibilities outlined below are therefore typical but not exclusive and the EUSR reserves the right to reasonably amend the duties and responsibilities here within.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Contributing to the drafting of EUSR communications plans/strategies and the Outreach budget in close cooperation with the Head of Communications/Spokesperson;
- Providing strategic advice on media relations, cultivating relationships with the media as well as leading or supporting press engagements (interviews, press conferences, press points, answers to journalists’ questions etc);
- Managing high value media and outreach contracts;
- Organising and implementing public events, outreach and communication activities including ensuring coordination amongst internal EUSR/EUD resources;
- Drafting talking points for meetings or public engagements, contributing to drafting/editing of communication materials, demonstrating sound political judgement and a media-friendly style;
- Ensuring related follow up on available communication channels, including the web site and social media;
- Accompanying EUSR and senior officials on trips and visits as required;
- Providing expertise and advice on the EUSR’s communication and outreach with BiH media and civil society;
- Maintaining contacts with stakeholders, including media, civil society actors, contractors, international and local community. Monitoring developments/gathering information on initiatives in the civic/public sphere related to BiH’s EU perspective and contributing to the formulation of related recommendations;
- Liaising with other EUSR/EUD sections, other international and local organisations and institutions in order to ensure coordination on media and outreach activities;
- Contributing to the preparation of EUSR reporting;
- Carry out other duties as required.
- University degree in communication, political or social science, EU integration or a related subject;
- Minimum of eight (8) years of relevant professional experience in communication;
- Experience of at least four (4) years in media relations, either as a journalist or in a press office/communications department;
- Excellent knowledge of the media in Bosnia and Herzegovina and the political environment that the EUSR operates in;
- In depth knowledge of the European Union, its policies in BiH, its institutions and the Common Foreign and Security Policy;
- Knowledge of and experience in the use of multiple communication and public awareness channels;
- Experience managing projects and managing budgets. A demonstrated ability to ability conceptualise and develop communications projects.
Competencies and Attributes
- Self-starter, ability to take the initiative and operate independently;
- Ability to work in a team setting with high sense of confidentiality, solidarity and flexibility;
- Ability to operate within a fast moving environment and react appropriately to change;
- Excellent communication and reporting skills, and the ability to present advice in a clear and concise manner;
- Excellent oral and written English;
- Fluent in the official languages of Bosnia and Herzegovina;
- ICT skills commensurate with the scope of the post;
- Very good interpersonal skills to interact within multicultural environment.
- Citizen of Bosnia and Herzegovina;
- The candidate will need to be certified medically fit for employment by a competent authority/person in Bosnia and Herzegovina;
- Possession of a valid driver’s license “B” category and ability to drive EUSR official vehicles would be considered an advantage;
Lokacija: Sarajevo (Rad iz firme)
Broj izvršilaca: 1
Datum objave: 15.12.2023.
Trajanje oglasa: 23 dana (ističe 07.01.2024.)